Here are some of the articles featured in the magazine
Welcome to the
Open Enrollment Edition ofFor Your Benefit Magazine
With the annual Open Enrollment period fast approaching, October 10 – 21, it’s time to consider your 2023 coverage. I encourage you to look inside this edition of For Your Benefit to learn what’s new and what’s changing, so you can make informed decisions for you and your family.
In 2023 there will be no change to our national medical plan administrators with Aetna, Anthem and Cigna continuing to partner with Pearson. The battle, though, to manage costs while maintaining the highest level of care and coverage wages on, creating the need to increase premiums for next year:
- National medical plans (administered by Anthem, Cigna, and Aetna) – 4.8% increase
- Kaiser (California) – 3.9% increase
There will be no change in premiums for dental (Delta Dental and Cigna DHMO) and vision (VSP) in 2023.
Deductible and Plan Name Change. The in-network deductible for the $2,850 plan administered by Aetna, Anthem, Cigna and Kaiser will increase to $3,000 single/$6,000 family (the out-of-network deductible will change to $6,000 single / $12,000 family). There are no changes to the out-of-pocket maximums. This change is required to make the plan compliant with IRS guidelines. The plan will now be called the $3,000 Deductible Plan to coincide with the deductible change.
- New Digital Physical Therapy Service. I am pleased to announce a new, no cost benefit for treating musculoskeletal issues beginning in November of 2022. With Sword Health, you work on feeling better using sensor technology to deliver real-time feedback in the comfort of your own home or wherever you may be. Say goodbye to delayed appointments, waiting rooms and extended travel time. Read the article about Sword Health for more information and watch your home mail for more information coming soon.
- New Life Insurance Vendor. Effective January 1, Lincoln Financial, our current disability vendor will be Pearson’s new life insurance partner. Rates and coverage levels are remaining the same. You will need to provide Evidence of Insurability if you want to increase your life insurance amounts for the new year.
- Expansion of Coverage. Earlier this year it was announced that travel and lodging benefits were available for select services such as organ transplants. I am pleased to announce that, for the national medical plans (Aetna, Anthem, and Cigna), Pearson has expanded travel and lodging benefits to include all covered services.
Important reminders as you plan for your 2023 enrollment:
- The Health Savings Account (HSA), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), and Commuter/Parking elections do not transfer from year to year – you must make an election for 2023, even if you want to continue with the same amount per paycheck next year.
- If you choose not to participate in Pearson Benefits plans in 2023, you must waive coverage, otherwise you will continue to see deductions in your paycheck for all of next year.
Inside you will also find helpful reminders about how to enroll and getting help while enrolling. As always, you can visit the Pearson Benefits website 24×7 for more specific plan details and coverage information.
In good health,
Vice President, Global Benefits
Virtual physical care — overcome your pain at home.
Start your journey to living pain-free with Sword, virtual physical care for back, joint and muscle pain that you can do from the comfort of home, or anywhere. Combining the best in human care with easy-to-use technology, Sword offers a proven and more convenient option than traditional in-person physical therapy.
Sword will be available to all Aetna, Anthem and Cigna enrollees, age 13 and older as part of your health plan benefits.
Care on your terms
Sword matches you with a physical therapist who learns about you over a video call and designs a customized program. You’ll then get a Digital Therapist © tablet and motion sensors to track your exercise progress, give feedback and help correct your form in real-time. Your physical therapist supports you every step of the way and even adjusts the program as your needs change, so you get better, faster. Whether you want to prevent or treat chronic pain or recover from surgery, Sword is for you.
Free Virtual Classes
As a reminder, with a Gympass membership, you get access to:
- Over 12,000 gyms and studios nationwide including:
- F45, Barry’s, and Life Time
- Live streamed and on-demand online fitness classes with:
- Les mills+, Yogaia, Sworkit and others
- 1:1 virtual personal training with certified trainers from apps like Trainiac.
- Wellbeing apps supporting nutrition, mental health, meditation, and healthy habits from top providers including:
- Calm, Lifesum, Meditopia and more
While you are focused on your physical health during Open Enrollment, don’t forget to check in on your financial fitness. Knowing how much to save and how to invest for the future you imagine can sometimes be quite daunting, especially in these challenging economic times. That’s why Pearson offers Empower Retirement Advisory Services in the Pearson 401(k) Plan, which provides personalized financial planning for wherever you are in life – regardless of how much you’ve saved – through all the ups and downs of the financial markets.
From online tools to licensed advisors you can talk to; you’ve got access to financial planning and retirement advice that’s personalized for your needs and designed to help you reach your goals. You can get financial help two ways*:
- Free Online Advice allows you to use do-it-yourself tools to get personalized investment recommendations.
- Fee-based Professional Management connects you with professionals who manage your Pearson 401(k) Plan account and select investments for you.
If you are not currently enrolled in professional management, in mid-October a Retirement Evaluation will be sent to you via email, which covers where you are today, and provides some tips to help improve your future planning. Take some time to review your evaluation then use it to get on and stay on track toward your goals
Visit the Empower website at any time to learn more about these advisory tools and helpful information or you can speak with a representative (Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. Eastern time, and Saturdays from 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Eastern time) at 1-844-465-4455.
*Online Advice and the Professional Management Program are part of the Empower Retirement Advisory Services suite of services offered by Advised Assets Group, LLC, a registered investment adviser. There is no guarantee provided by any party that participation in any of the advisory services will result in a profit.
Securities, when presented, are offered and/or distributed by Empower Financial Services, Inc., Member FINRA/SIPC. EFSI is an affiliate of Empower Retirement, LLC; Empower Funds, Inc.; and registered investment adviser, Empower Advisory Group, LLC. This material is for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide investment, legal or tax recommendations or advice.
“EMPOWER INVESTMENTS” and all associated logos, and product names are trademarks of Empower Annuity Insurance Company of America. ©2022 Empower Retirement, LLC. All rights reserved. RO2307540-0822
Did You Know
About These Benefits?
As you complete your elections for Open Enrollment, be sure to check out these other benefit offerings, most of which are offered at no cost to you.
Your emotional well-being is as important as your physical health. Through the Employee Assistance Program, you and family members who live with you, have access to unlimited phone counseling and up to five, free face-to-face or video-based counseling sessions per issue per year at no cost to you. With MDLive Therapy (small copay applies), there’s no travel time and no office visit. Just sign in and choose a therapist that fits your needs and make a secure video appointment.
ConsumerMedical is designed to help all benefit-eligible employees and their household members get current, comprehensive, objective and personalized information (including treatment options) and support about any medical diagnosis or health topic. You do not need to be enrolled in a Pearson medical plan to use this free service.
Health Advocate provides assistance in navigating the complicated world of health care.
Leaves of Absences:
- Parental – provides up to 16 weeks paid leave to care for a child after birth or placement for adoption or foster care, including birth via surrogacy.
- Serious Illness in the Family – provides employees with up to four (4) weeks of paid time off during a 12-month period for the care of a seriously ill spouse or partner, child, parent, in-law, or to make arrangements relative to that care.
- Bereavement – allows up to 5 days related to bereavement leave for an employee’s spouse, partner/significant other, child or stepchild, pregnancy loss, spouse or partner of a child, parent or stepparent, parent-in-law, sibling, spouse or partner of your sibling, grandparent, grandparent-in-law, grandchild or step-grandchild, legal guardian, or other resident of the household.
Flu season is around the corner. Flu shots and the following vaccines are covered through Caremark participating pharmacies at no cost:
- Preventive care vaccines for children and adults (such as Measles, Tetanus, Diphtheria)
What’s New In 2023?
Coming in November 2022 | Digital Physical Therapy
Say goodbye to appointment delays, waiting times and traveling to your physical therapy appointment. Beginning in November of 2022, Pearson will offer Sword Health – free, virtual physical therapy designed to help you overcome your back, joint or muscle pain from the comfort of your own home or wherever you are.
Sword is a virtual physical therapy program to help members prevent and treat acute, chronic and post-surgical pain for the lower back, shoulder, neck, hip, knee, elbow, ankle, and wrist. Studies show that members achieve a 30% improvement over conventional physical therapy and reduce pain levels by 70% in just 8 weeks.
Combining physical care specialists with easy-to-use technology, here’s how it works:
- Sword pairs you with a physical therapist who creates a program just for you, adjusts it as you progress, check in with coaching and advice, and chat with you anytime.
- Do your exercises where and when it suits you — Sword will ship you a tablet and motion sensors to guide you and provide real-time feedback
- Your physical therapist is there to support you, virtually, and is available to you at any time
- You have access to a library of information tailored for you with insights, advice, and tips.
Whether you want to prevent or treat chronic pain or recover from surgery, Sword is for you.
New Life Insurance Plan Administrator
Lincoln Financial, which is currently Pearson’s disability plan administrator, will now also manage our life insurance coverage beginning in January 2023. There are no changes to rates or coverage amounts. Learn more about the value-added services offered as part of this new partnership.
Please note: Unless you are increasing your supplemental or dependent coverage, no action is required during Open Enrollment. If you are making such changes, you will be asked to provide Evidence of Insurability (EOI) after you complete your enrollment.
Expanded travel and lodging benefits
Previously, travel and lodging benefits were only available for certain select services such as organ transplants. Beginning in 2023, the National Medical plans (Aetna, Anthem, Cigna and Kaiser) will include travel and lodging benefits for all covered services. Contact your medical plan administrator for more detailed information.
Enrolling for 2023
Do I have to enroll?
It is always a good idea to review your coverage, whether you intend to make changes or not. If you don’t make any changes, you will be automatically enrolled in your current coverage with the exception of Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs), Commuter/Parking Accounts and Health Savings Account (HSA) elections.
If you are currently participating in any of the following accounts and want to continue to do so next year, you must make an election for 2023, even if the amount you are contributing will stay the same.
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Health care, Dependent Day Care and Combination FSA)
- Commuter/Parking Accounts
Note: 2022 balances in the HSA and Commuter/Parking accounts will carry over into 2023, but your FSA funds do not.
- $3,850 for individual coverage
- $7,750 for family coverage
Health Care – $2,850/year
Combination – $2,850/year
Dependent Day Care – $5,000/year
Commuter – $280/month
Parking – $280/month
What if I am currently enrolled in Pearson Benefit plans, but don’t want coverage in 2023?
If you are currently enrolled in Pearson Benefits but do not need coverage in 2023, you must go into the system and “waive” coverage. If you do not take this action, you will see payroll deductions for coverage for all of 2023.
Get Ready to Enroll
Note: If you started working at Pearson as of October 1, 2022, or if you had a life event recently, please see the instructions below before beginning your enrollment.
Open Enrollment | need help?
If you have questions while enrolling, a “Chat Now” button is located in the bottom right corner of each page on the Mercer Marketplace website. When you click this button, you will connect with a benefits counselor for a secure, live chat.
If you have questions about your 2023 benefits or enrolling, you can also call Mercer Marketplace at 1-855-237-6421. Benefit counselors are available to assist you Monday to Friday, 7 am to 10 pm and Saturdays, 10 am to 2 pm (all times are Eastern).
Step 1 – Have Your Information Ready:
- Have the Social Security Number and birth date handy for any dependent(s) you will be adding to your coverage.
- Know which plan(s) you want to enroll in. This is also a good time to review your list of beneficiaries to make sure they are up to date.
Step 2 – Visit Mercer Marketplace
- Select “Explore 2023 Benefits” and enter you login credentials
- Forgot your login credentials?
- Click on “Forgot Username or Password” or
- Click on the “My Total Rewards” icon in myCloud. Scroll down and look for “For Benefits Enrollment” and click on the blue “here” button
- Forgot your login credentials?
- If it is the first time you are using the Marketplace, you will need to register as a new user. To register, you will need the last 4 digits of your social security number, your last name, your date of birth and your home zip code. Follow the instructions to set up your account.
Attention New Hires or those with a recent Life Event – What You Need to Know
- For 2022: complete the steps in 1 and 2 above to complete your 2022 enrollment or in the case of a life event, initiate your life event for 2022.
- Once you have completed this action for 2022, you will be prompted to complete your enrollment for 2023.